Friday, May 7, 2010

'What are you going to do?'

When we first started discussing the possibility of Russ accepting a job in Sweden, it also was necessary to think about what I could do for personal development while there.
I now have an answer to the “what are you going to do?” question: I’ve been admitted into the global journalism master’s programme at Örebro University in Sweden!
After some nervous what-ifs, prayers and obsessively checking the online site where the selection results would be revealed, I finally found out today.
Last week, some undecipherable numbers and codes were posted to the online site. Every university in Sweden has a different MR (merit rating) code system, and you’ll have a rating from 1 to around 1,000 posted to your online application. Since these numbers only make sense to the university, I’m not sure why they are posted before your admission status, other than to torture applicants.
But in any case, I’ve been admitted and look forward to working with professors and fellow students, who will come from countries around the world. In previous classes, there have been students from almost every continent represented.
When I was in India, I met with journalists to exchange ideas about how our profession is practiced in our respective countries. Now, I’ll have this on a much larger scale. Some of the courses offered include media and globalization, online investigative journalism, war and peace journalism and reporting Europe.

I was already excited about moving to Europe, but to have something to challenge and fulfill me academically makes the experience even more of a wonderful adventure.



Subscribe to e-mail or RSS feeds of this blog by signing up at the homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment