Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Proving our love for a Swedish residency permit

After this independent, career woman agreed to not only marry him, but also move from warm Texas to Sweden for his job opportunity, I knew Russell must be my true life partner.


But before I can join him in Scandinavia, where he is already considered a permanent resident, I must convince the Swedish government that we are indeed engaged, very much in love and plan to marry in June.

The process begins by filling out two lengthy forms, including a full background of myself (upbringing, education, work, leisure interests, etc.). It also asks for details of when, where and how the referee (Russell) and I first met, as well as our plans for the future, such as where we’ll get married, live, have children, etc. I don’t think either of us is focused on the children aspect as of yet (give us a few years!), but I’ll do my best.

Along with my detailed account of our love, I also must include photographs of us together, a copy of our engagement announcement and other documents that say yes – we’re legit.

After my passport goes from Texas to Washington, D.C., and then to Sweden and back, I do hope the government is as convinced as we are of our commitment. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

-- Angela

4 comments:

  1. ...and hilarity ensues. :) Hopefully the Scandinavian govt is easier or at least more pleasant to deal with than the US govt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing to prove if you are moving there after you get married... Just show a marriage certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, yet a pain! But, I totally understand why they have to do it. Paper work is crap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'd like to have everything settled before I move to Sweden, which will be just a week after we're married, so that's why we must follow the engagement residency permit rules. It will be nice to have the passport with the permit ready to go when I make this big life decision -- if marriage wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete