Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alice in a new wonderland

Along with composing our love sonnet for the Swedish government, I also need to consult a veterinarian about the required paperwork for my cat, Alice.


According to the Swedish Department of Agriculture, I must follow all instructions for “dogs and cats from non-EU countries that have effective rabies control.” These include a microchip (check), rabies vaccination (check) and proof that the animal has enough antibodies against rabies (must look into this). I’ll also need to get poor Alice dewormed against tapeworm.

The last step is obtaining a veterinary certificate confirming that these procedures have been completed.


Some of you may think it’s cruel to take a cat all the way from Texas to Sweden. But for one, I plan to take her with me in the plane’s cabin and pay an extra fee (about $50-$100), and two, isn’t it better for her to stay with a loving family than be one of the many in an animal shelter?

I’ve also done my research to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible.

A quick Google search really can find you anything. I discovered a Web site with a “case study” about flying with your cat from the U.S. to Sweden. David, the site creator, uses Sweden for this report because “they’re one of the hardest European countries to import animals.” Hooray!

While I’ll need to confirm with my vet if these things are useful, the site has some helpful tips, such as using acepromazine instead of a sedative, which are discouraged for animals at a high altitude. He also notes that the deworming must be done less than 10 days before every entry into Sweden, so I better set up an appropriate appointment now.

I know Alice is a unique cat because she follows me around and wants to cuddle on the couch and bed. I hear this is an unusual trait for felines, so I don’t want to leave her behind.

2 comments:

  1. Alice is completely normal. That's how all my cats have been. It may be usual for cats that didn't grow up in a place that is conducive for cuddling :) I couldn't imagine having to give up an animal, you're doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure you have all the vet papers and stamped within the 7 days (i think...) before arriving to Sweden.

    AND, file the paperwork with the agricultural board so they approve it. Here's a link to the form (it may be outdated so double check) http://www2.sjv.se/webdav/files/SJV/blanketter/djur/in_o_utforsel/D092GB.PDF

    ReplyDelete