Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Move to Sweden, learn Spanish

To my great delight, Russell’s boss wants him to learn not Swedish, but Spanish.


Since he’s working for an international company and will travel on a semi-regular basis, his boss thinks it’s more beneficial for him to know Spanish, an unfamiliar language to most of his co-workers.

This makes me happy because I have a certain fondness for the Hispanic culture. During college, I went on a study abroad trip to Guadalajara, Mexico, for four weeks and took a two-week travel writing course in Puerto Rico. We’re even planning to go to Barcelona for our honeymoon.


                                                                                     Guadalajara Chivas soccer game

While I can comprehend most Spanish, I’m rusty in conversing because I don’t practice the language on a regular basis. Now, I have the perfect partner to work on becoming fully fluent.

This weekend, when I see Russell in Tennessee (hooray!), I will bring him a Spanish-English dictionary and a book called “1,001 most useful Spanish words” for his trip to Chile and Peru to get started. When I move to Sweden, we plan to take Spanish courses together.

And then who knows, perhaps our next move will be to Spain or another Spanish-speaking country.

No comments:

Post a Comment